Week 3, #5 – Photos and images

Photos and images (Week 3, #5)

Take a look at 7 things you should know about Flickr before getting started.

Photo sharing websites have been around since the 90s, but it took a small startup site called Flickr to catapult the idea of “sharing” into a full blown online community. Flickr is the fastest growing photo sharing site on the web and is known as one of the first websites to use keyword “tags” to create associations and connections between photos and users of the site.

Before we get started talking about how to use Flickr, check out Online Photo Sharing in Plain English:

If you cannot view the video above, click here to watch directly from TeacherTube.

For this discovery exercise, you are asked to take a good look at Flickr and discover what this site has to offer. Find out how tags work, what groups are, and all the neat things that people and other libraries are using Flickr for.

Discovery Exercise #5:

Beginner

Create a Free account in Flickr and use a digital camera to capture a few pictures of your school library media center (if teachers or students are in the picture, make sure you have permission before posting to Flickr!). Upload these to your Flickr account and tag at least one of the images “SCASL2.0” and mark it public. Write a post in your blog about this experience.

Advanced

Create a post in your blog about your photo and experience. Be sure to include the image in your post. Once you have a Flickr account, you have two options for doing this; through Flickr’s blogging tool or using Blogger’s photo upload feature. So go ahead, explore the site and have some Flickr photo fun and if you’re interested in looking at some photo hosting sites, then check out Picasa Web Albums from Google and another service called Smugmug

So go ahead, explore the site and have some Flickr photo fun!

PS-there are other photo sharing sites out there. If you don’t like Flickr, check out Picasa (owned by Google).

*A note about copyright: Use common sense when uploading images to any online photo sharing site. If you upload an image with a person in it (especially one of your students), be sure you have permission. Make sure any images you are uploading are your own. Also, if you find an image on a photo sharing site that you want to use, be sure to ask permission first. For more information about copyright, Creative Commons, and Flickr, check out: http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

Curriculum Connections (from http://webtools4u2use.wikispaces.com/):

• Archive and share bulletin boards and display ideas
  • Create unique screensavers with students, activities, book covers, graphics, class projects, images related to topics of research, etc.
  • Shoot and share photos of student activities, field trips, etc. for students and teachers to use in projects and presentations
  • Create slideshows of school and library media center events to share on website
  • Share photos for use in TV production
  • Display student work, art work, activities
  • Post pictures for faculty to view
  • Include in morning news show
  • Display in LMC’s digital photo frames
  • Share vacation photos appropriate to education
  • Document programs we’ve created
  • Send photos to teachers of student activities
  • Send photos to art classes for mural that will be in the library media center
  • Post pictures on our blog
  • Order prints
  • Create photo albums of school events, author visits, special programs
  • Share facilities ideas and furniture arrangements with colleagues in other media centers
  • Create photo books
  • Create posters
  • Store images for use in the annual report and presentations to administrators and parents
  • Use as writing prompts (Library of Congress images on Flickr, etc.)
  • Post on sites where parents can purchase images of their children at school and school activities
  • Organize photos
  • Use on local cable channel
  • Photograph book covers, related titles and post to the web
  • Create monthly photoshows of library media center activities to email to teachers with upcoming events for the next month
  • Use images for newsletters
  • Use for students’ multimedia projects
  • Use in digital storytelling
  • Keep photos storage off-site, freeing hard disk and server space and making them available from any computer
  • Teach students about photography, digital cameras, composition, lighting, etc.
  • Teach about photo sharing, tags, searching for images, copyright, creative commons licensing
  • Post a photo of the day
  • Promote reading programs
  • Locate and print photos to be used in displays or on bulletin boards
  • Document library conferences and workshops attended
  • Use as a fund raising activity. Parents and students can order prints
  • Create calendars, cards, gifts with unique library media center photos

2 thoughts on “Week 3, #5 – Photos and images

1. OK, I’ve signed up with Flickr, but I haven’t posted any pictures yet. I plan to post my school birthday book club pictures. Will Flickr let me create a slide show of my BBC students or would a different site such as Picture Trail or Photo Bucket be better? I know they have different effects such as spirals and grids. Since I haven’t delved deep enough I don’t know what site would be best for what I want to display.

Any suggestions from anyone else out there?

2. Posted a bulletin board picture to flicker. Pretty easy to do.

Flickr is one online feature I might actually use at school and at home. I see the value of having someplace to preserve photos, though I still can’t understand why “the world” would be interested in seeing some random person’s pictures. Don’t think of myself as a dinosaur; just someone with common sense.